Registration of Marriage: South Korea

As soon as you get a copy of your marriage certificate in SECPA from the NSO, you might as well register your marriage in your Korean spouse’s country ASAP. 

Where to do so?

  1. City Hall in South Korea
  2. Korean embassies (if your husband lives abroad)

Since my husband lives in Japan, he could have done this in the embassy of Korea in Japan but the consul advised him to send the papers directly to the City Hall in his town. Another suggestion was to register our marriage in the Korean embassy in the Philippines. My husband chose the first one.

What are the things to submit?

  1. Original copy of marriage certificate (from the NSO)
  2. Application form (My husband got one from the consul. Your seals should both appear in it. See images below.)
  3. Korean translation of your marriage certificate (You can get the format from the Korean embassy website. See the image below.)
  4. Photocopy of passports of both spouses
Marriage Certificate translated in Korean
*For #3*

*Images by courtesy of my husband.*

The processing in Korea usually takes 3 days and it’s gratis. Once it’s done, your Korean spouse will be able to get a copy of his/her Korean marriage certificate which will be needed for further transactions. One of which is when registering your marriage in the country where he/she currently lives. Only if your spouse lives abroad.

Questions and clarifications are all welcome here! 🙂


19 thoughts

  1. Hello Sis! My husband and I just got married a week back, I was wondering if we can register our marriage in Korea by using a SECPA marriage cert? Or do we need the authenticated NSO one? thanks sis!


    1. Hello, Mrs. Jeong! I think SECPA is that one from the NSO. You can get it after 1~2 months from the day you report your marriage to NSO. 🙂
      Congratulations! Best wishes! ❤️


  2. I want to say congratulations the marrage with my cusine even it is late.. I think that we may have a chance to see each other in Korea.


Pop your thoughts! (For non-WordPress users, you are encouraged to contact me via email, Facebook, or IG. You'll be responded promptly.)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s