Online Application for ROC Taiwan Travel Authorization Certificate

LAST UPDATED: January 25, 2018

This is a special case applicable to citizens of

India, Vietnam, Indonesia, Myanmar, Cambodia, and Lao

under these conditions:

  1. The applicant’s passport must have a remaining validity of at least six months starting from the date of arrival in Taiwan.
  2. The applicant must possess an onward/return air or ferry ticket.
  3. The applicant has never been employed as a blue-collar worker in Taiwan.

In addition

the applicant must possess at least one of the following documents issued by Australia, Canada, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, any of the Schengen countries, the United Kingdom, or the United States:

  1. Valid resident or permanent resident card
  2. Valid entry visa (may be electronic visa)
  3. Resident card or visa that has expired less than 10 years prior to the date of arrival in Taiwan


  • Nationals of Indonesia who possess a valid Japan Visa Waiver Registration are eligible for a ROC Travel Authorization Certificate.
  • The visas in the aforementioned list of required documents do not include work permits.
  • Online applications can only be made by persons holding valid regular passports. Persons holding temporary, emergency, or informal passports, or travel documents other than a passport, cannot submit online applications.
  • Applicants who hold permanent resident cards with no expiry date may enter 9999 for the year, 12 for the month and 31 for the day in the Date field.
  • If any mistake is made during the online application process, the applicant may submit a new application.
  • Once the application has been approved, the applicant is kindly requested to print out the ROC Travel Authorization Certificate. The applicant must present the certificate and the required documents for inspection when entering Taiwan. Entry will be denied if the required documents are not produced.
  • An approved ROC Travel Authorization Certificate is valid for 90 days. Multiple entries within these 90 days are allowed. The holder of a ROC Travel Authorization Certificate may stay in Taiwan for 30 days, starting from the day after arrival. If the holder wishes to apply for another ROC Travel Authorization Certificate, he or she must do so seven days prior to the expiry of the current certificate.

Those who are qualified may secure an Authorization Certificate via the Online Application for R.O.C. (Taiwan) Travel Authorization Certificate of the R.O.C. National Immigration Agency right before the flight.

If the purpose of entering Taiwan is only for a layover, this is NOT necessary if there is no need to change airports. On the other hand, if there is a need to transfer to a different airport for departure, then this certificate is absolutely required.



UPDATE: Philippine passport holders can now enter Taiwan visa-free or without this certificate. Read more here.

I would have never known such a thing if not for my experience. Indeed it is the best teacher! 😀

As Danny and I were heading back to Japan from Bali, we were advised to secure one only for me since Danny holds a Korean passport and is visa exempted. I am a Philippine passport holder. Our layover in Taiwan was about 12 hours and had to depart from a different airport. So basically, I was obliged to show them an Authorization Certificate. Big thanks to my Japan Residence card! If not for its awesome power, it could have been a mess! I was also thankful that the check-in officers were so helpful. They let us print it out in their office. I didn’t have this “you’re-so-stupid-for-not-knowing-this” feeling as they were dealing with me. They didn’t even give me that “oh-poor-stupid-thing” look. Tell you, I got that look from some Filipino China Eastern Airlines staff in the Philippines. Uggh! I was expecting the other way around since we are Filipinos. But..*sighs*

Anyway, those Indonesian China Airlines staff were respectful. Totally different from the others. The icing on the cake was when applying for the certificate online. It was only a piece of cake and free of cost.

Here’s how it looks like..

roc taiwan travel authorization certificate

NOTE: This was last July 12, 2016. Changes might be seen on the printed form at present.



  1. Carry with you your Residence Certificate, card, visa and the like in every travel.
  2. Be at the airport 2-3 hours before the departure. You never know how time can save you.
  3. Stay calm and polite no matter how pissed/mad/upset you are. Respect begets respect. Kindness comes to you if you are one.
  4. Never blame anyone when this kind of situation occurs. I have learned this the hard way. I always blamed my husband for any troubles like this.
  5. Try to see the advantage in every disadvantage. This experience has taught me not just a single thing but a lot.

Enjoy your trip to Taiwan!



31 responses

  1. Pingback: Are Filipinos now visa-free to enter Taiwan? – Thoughts of SheryL

  2. Hi Sheryl, just need a confirmation. I have a Korean Visa Stamped on my passport 2 years ago. Does it mean that I only need to apply for Travel Authorization Certificate?


    Liked by 1 person

  3. Do you need to go to TECO if you already prin ted out your ROC Travel Authorization Cert? Or are there further actions agter printing it from the web? Or really just print it out and show it upon entering Taiwan?

    Liked by 1 person

    • Hi! Thanks for dropping by.
      Once you successfully applied for the certificate, have it printed out and present it at the immigration in Taiwan airports together with your other requirements (residence card, residence visa, etc.).


  4. Hi Sheryl, good day to you. May i ask about ROCs travel authorization certificate for filipinos for clarification, because i am a bit confused about it. Since you have experienced it first-hand,i would like to ask if i am eligible for it.i am a filipino also,had a tourist visa from korea and used it on my trip there last sept 8-17.if it has been used already does it mean i wont be eligible already for the T.A. Certificate?even if the visa expiry to korea(final entry date) indicates nov 11,2016? Or i am only eligible until nov 11? Pls help i am confused with their conditions.even in their website it only says valid entry visa to the mentioned countries..but valid to them means what actually? Hope to hear from you sheryl, sorry for this long message.. thanks and more power!


    • Hello! I am really sorry for the late response. Been busy.
      For your question, you’ll only be eligible if you have a valid resident/visitor visa (including an electronic one)* or resident certificate (including a permanent one) issued by Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Schengen Agreement countries, the U.K. or the U.S.A.
      Thanks for your time. 🙂


      • Thanks for the reply Sheryl.. if i may ask again, like in my case, i have entered korea already using the tourist visa issued to me, which was a single entry one yet expires 16 nov 2016, is that considered not valid already? Or i can still go to taiwan using that visa but should not be later than 16 nov? Sorry for the questions again..


          • Hi, but i did see korea included in the list Sheryl❤️, as per the link you have attached.. [( In addition, the applicant must possess at least one of the following documents issued by Australia, Canada, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, any of the Schengen countries, the United Kingdom, or the United States:1. Valid resident or permanent resident card
            2. Valid entry visa (may be electronic visa)
            3. Resident card or visa that has expired less than 10 years prior to the date of arrival in Taiwan].
            But you have mentioned “succeeding journey”, while im back in sg already after my korea trip and would like to try and see taiwan this time. I am a filipino working here in singapore.


            • Hello! My bad. I should update this post. At the time, Korea was not on the list. By “succeeding journey”, it means you want to enter Taiwan for a layover (from one airport to another). However, that may have changed at present. Will update this post soon. Thanks!


  5. Hi! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest authoring a blog post or vice-versa?

    My blog addresses a lot of the same topics as yours and I feel
    we could greatly benefit from each other. If you are interested feel free to shoot me an email.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Superb blog by the way!


  6. It’s the best time to make some plans for the future and
    it’s time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you
    some interesting things or tips. Maybe you can write next articles referring to
    this article. I want to read more things about it!


Thoughts? Questions? (Not a WordPress user? Contact me via email or Facebook.)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: