Guide: Getting a Japan visa for your family

NOTE: This guide mainly targets Filipino citizens.

So you are now in Japan with a resident visa or any visa except for a tourist one and you’re planning to invite your family or relatives (up to 3rd degree only) to come here, you’ve come to the right place! ヽ(・∀・)ノ

2 months ago, my husband and I decided to invite my mom and sister to come visit us. To be certain, we contacted Friendship Tours to inquire about it via phone call. Be informed that your visa application must be through accredited agencies. I did mine through this efficient agency. Check it out here. 

After 7 working days, their application was approved. So grateful for it and now I’m counting down to their arrival with excitement. 11 days to go!!!

As a token of my gratitude, I’d like to share what we did to acquire their visas.


  1. My husband and I are both residents in Japan.
  2. I hold a dependent visa at the time being, while he holds a permanent visa.
  3. He’s Korean and a regular employee. I’m prohibited to work as a regular employee under the type of my visa. So I only work part-time.
  4. Travel expenses are shouldered by us.
  5. My mom and younger sister are both working.
  6. Their first visa application and trip abroad.
  7. They did their application through the above mentioned agency located in Cebu.
  8. They paid the total amount of 4,000 PHP.
  9. After Danny and I gathered all the required documents, we sent them to Cebu through DHL which was quick.

Danny and I prepared these:

  • Photocopy of residence card
  • Photocopy of passport (stamped pages included)
  • Original copy of Residence Certificate (Jyuminhyo)[with 3 months validity]

Danny prepared these:

  • Invitation Letter (in Japanese, format provided by the embassy)
  • Original copy of Income Certificate (Yakusho Karano Shotoku Shomeisho)[with 3 months validity]
  • Guarantee Letter (in Japanese, format provided by the embassy)

My mom and sis prepared these:

  • Signed Passport (validity of within 6 months from return day)
  • Visa application form (given by the agency)
  • Photo (4.5cm x 4.5cm with white background, 1 copy, glued on the application form)
  • Birth Certificate (PSA issued valid within 1 year)
  • My BC (PSA issued valid within 1 year)[to prove relationship]
  • My mom’s Marriage Certificate (PSA issued valid within 1 year)

Since the status of their BC is LATE-REGISTRATION, they were asked to also submit these:

  • Original Baptismal Certificate
  • School Record (Form 137 or report card)

Since my mom couldn’t provide her school record due to a fire accident, she was asked to submit an explanation letter. It was only handwritten by my sister.

There were other documents that weren’t necessary for us to submit given our case. If you think there’s a slight difference between our cases, I strongly advise you to go check this detailed list of requirements from Friendship Tours. 

I wish you a big approval! (@^-^)


8 thoughts on “Guide: Getting a Japan visa for your family

Pop your thoughts! (For non-WordPress users, you are encouraged to contact me via email, Facebook, or IG. You'll be responded promptly.)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s